Christmas caramels

1 cup butter
2 1/4 cup brown sugar*
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup light corn syrup
1 (15 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

  1. In a heavy medium saucepan, melt the butter.
  2. Add the brown sugar and salt.
  3. Stir in the corn syrup and mix well.
  4. Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk.
  5. Stirring over medium heat, cook for 12-15 minutes to 250 °F (firm ball).
  6. Remove from heat
  7. Stir in vanilla.
  8. Pour into a greased 9"x9" pan.
  9. Cool overnight and cut into pieces with a greased, very sharp, knife.

I save my candy-making for the holidays. This year, my husband will be in Korea for Christmas, hosting a dinner for the enlisted troops in his unit. I'm sending a big batch of candy to give all the sweet teeth (sweet-tooths?) there a taste of home.

*If you make a double batch, like I do, just dump in a full 2-pound bag of brown sugar.

0 comments:

This blog is simply a collection of my culinary success stories/recipes. Some recipes are original, but most are adaptations (or wholesale adoptions) of other people's recipes. I also blog about the life and times of a working mother of twins.
 
Copyright 2009 Cooking Happy All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes