Pear-and-applesauce

4 ripe pears*
2 medium apples**
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground nutmeg
  1. Peel, core and cut the fruit into chunks.
  2. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until mushy. This takes about 30 mins.
  3. Process sauce to desired texture.***
* I use Bartlett pears.
** I prefer Granny Smith for their tartness. Gala apples are a good choice if you like a sweeter sauce.
*** Today, I just used the back of a spoon to break down any large pieces, making a very chunky sauce. Usually, I run into through my manual food processor, which leaves some small chunks. When the twins were new to solid foods, I used my blender to make a very smooth sauce.

The spices are my family's preference, but this pear-and-applesauce is equally delicious with no spices all, smaller quantities, or different flavours. We eat it straight, but it would be great on oatmeal, granola or pancakes.

0 comments:

This blog is simply a collection of my culinary success stories/recipes. Some recipes are original, but most are adaptations (or wholesale adoptions) of other people's recipes. I also blog about the life and times of a working mother of twins.
 
Copyright 2009 Cooking Happy All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes